The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd

What an addictive story! I’ve spent most of the afternoon reading it! It’s a brilliant mystery story which is written in the first person by the character Ted. Ted has aspergers – this means, as he puts it, his brain is a bit different to other people’s, it’s a bit like a computer. Teds honest writing about how he thinks and understands the world helps the reader understand a bit better what it’s like to have Aspergers. Dowd often mentions how Ted finds it difficult to understand phrases that we use, like ‘it’s raining cats and dogs’ which he takes very literally (the sky really isn’t leaking cats and dogs, it just means it’s raining heavily!) Click on the link below if you want to hear a bit of the story.

Someone with aspergers may also say that they are autistic – there are lots of different types of autism, one of the, being having aspergers. Check out the video ‘My Autism and Me’ made by Newsround below if you want to find out more about autism.

6 Comments Add yours

1. Ella, year 6 says:

That sounds really, really good! For some reason I’ve always been interested in people with autism and how they interpret different things. But I’ve never had the outage to ask anyone with autism. #big hugs, Ella x

2. Ella, year 6 says:

My older half brother in law has read this and when I was on Skype the other day to him (he lives in New York now) he was talking to me about this book and he said that he didn’t enjoy it very much. He said That he doesn’t like books when the main character writes as if he’s speaking….

3. Ella says:

I’m currently reading this book and finding it really good. I’m up to the part where Ted, Kat, Salim, Glo and Teds mum are about to go to the London eye. I found it so funny – its probably just me – when the author actually chose to write what shreddie Ted was eating! Ha!

Liked by 1 person

1. vteubler says:

Brilliant! Let me know what you think of it. I think I lent mine to Mrs Willison and she’s still got it. I’ll have to ask if she’s read it yet.

4. Ella says:

Ha! I’ll ask her tomorrow! X

5. Ella says:

I have finished the book and I think its BRILLIANT!!!!!! I think it is really thought out like the way Kat and Ted solved the missing letters on the T-shirt that spelled ‘front line security’ I think it was also really clever the way that Ted thought of the ‘it depends on how you look at it’ and solved out the way Salim disappeared. I really loved it and wish there was a second one!!!!