Varjak Paw by S F Said

I really struggled to get into this book. Whether it was because I’ve been very busy and haven’t been able to spend the time together into it, I’m not sure. Overall, I would just say that it is just a bit odd – maybe there were deeper meanings and lessons in it that I swept over, who knows?

It’s about this cat who isn’t fully accepted in his family and his journey Outside and learning the ways of Jalal through his dreams. He makes friends on the street and tries to help solve the mystery of the Vanishings going on. It is nicely illustrated, giving the story a different feel when Varjak is dreaming which I’m sure would appeal to many readers.

We had the library bus visit our school and some children and I were talking about the books that we had read whilst browsing for books for our classes. The lady who worked for the library shared some of her views and we got talking about Varjak Paw. She agreed with me that she didn’t really get the hype either considering it won a gold Nestle book prize award. Maybe it’s an adult thing? I don’t know? Let me know if you’ve read it and what you thought.

Whilst reading this book, I got myself thinking about a poster I saw in another year 6 classroom called ‘The Rights of the Reader’ by non other than the brilliant Quentin Blake. It reminded me that I don’t have to finish books if I’m not enjoying it – maybe I should have done that with Varjak? I did feel as though I should be able to give an honest review and maybe it would be unreliable if I haven’t bothered to read the whole thing. Anyways, have a peek at it. What do you think?

6 Comments Add yours

1. Ella, year 6 says:

I definitely agree with The ‘rights of the reader’ poster. The other day I was reading a book called ‘the mystery of the clockwork sparrow’ I just couldn’t get into it, maybe it’s just me,I don’t know? So I took it back and swapped it for a book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

2. Ella, Year 6 says:

Is the varjak paw book yours, or did you borrow it? x

1. vteubler says:

I borrowed it from the library. I would be interested to see what you think of it if you read it…

1. Ella, year 6 says:

For Christmas Father Christmas got me Varjak Paw! I read it all in one day – I enjoyed it so much! I loved the way that in Varjak’s dreams Jalal taught him things like the moving-circle, so on and so forth, and all of them helped Varjak to win fights against other cats like Sally bones and ginger.- I thought that was very original. I also like the way that SF Said wrote that Varjak thought cars were dogs and Holly, Varjak’s friends, knew that dogs were…dogs, then they met Cludge who helped them kill the mysterious black cats. x

2. vteubler says:

Wow, a completely different view to me. I think it is a bit of a ‘marmite’ book; you either love it or hate it.
        I’m glad you enjoyed it – good choice Father Christmas!

3. Ella, year 6 says:

Im going to the library tomorrow, Ill have a look around for it. If I find it Ill let you know what I thought of it. Xx