Grandpa’s Great Escape by David Walliams

If you have read my blog before, you will know that I am a little bit in love with David Walliams. Some of the children in my class read it before me and told me that it would  not disappoint – I can always trust their judgement.

Williams introduces us to Jack, a caring young boy who loves his rather excentric Grandpa who has some issues with his memory. He thinks that WW2 is still going on and that he is still in the RAF and ready for commands to fly his beloved Spitfire (you actually get one to cut out in the back of the book!)

As always, Walliams really pulls at the heartstrings. Jack’s loyalty to his Grandpa is admirable; he never gives up on him. He does all that he can to stop him getting put in a particularly ghastly old peoples home called ‘Twilight Towers’.

The book is split into three parts which I really enjoyed – it meant I could dip in and out of some other books and not loose track.

One bit of the book really jumped out at me. It summarised the love and courage of Jack, as looking after someone with memory issues, maybe alzheimers or dementia, can be really tricky. Sometimes older people forget who other people are, even who they are which must be very scary for them. We must be like Jack and look at the positives.

Williams wrote:

The boy couldn’t help but smile. everyone else always saw Grandpa’s condition as a problem. For Jack, the way his grandfather’s mind worked was nothing short of magical.

7 Comments Add yours

1. Ella, year 6 says:

I’m glad you enjoyed the book! My 2nd favourite walliams book.

2. maisie g says:

I really want to read this book. I’ll ask if I can go to the library and see if it is there.

1. vteubler says:

It is a good one. It is £5 in many supermarkets which isn’t too bad. Or you could wait to see Ella back at school. It depends how desperate you are!
      What are you reading at the moment?

3. Ella, year 6 says:

Maisie, if it’s not in the library you can borrow it from me when we’re back at school?!
    P.S I miss you too

4. Sophie says:

I love this book!

5. ive read the book and its AMAZING!