BBC 2 – 500 word writing competition!

I’ve just had a parent share with me on Facebook that it is coming up to the time of year when BBC Radio 2 start talking about kids writing. It’s their famous ‘500 words’ competition where children ages 5-13 can show off their writing talent. There are two age categories, 5 – 9 and 10 – 13.

The rules are pretty simple from what I gather.

1. You have to be in the right age category.
  2. Write a story that is no longer than 500 words on anything that you want.
  3. Send it in to the BBC before the closing date of Thursday 25th February. The competition opens on the 18th January.

That’s about it really…

The stories will be judged on the following, so consider this when planning/writing:

* Originality
* Plot
* Characterisation
* Language
* Enjoyment

Why not have a go? What’s the worst that could happen? I’d love to hear some! You may even get yours read out on Radio 2!

Check out the webiste for further information.

BBC2 500 Words

7 Comments Add yours

1. mia m says:

I was going to do it when I stumbled across the top 100 of 2015! I recommend the astonishing diary of a depressed sheep!

2. Sophie says:

I have heard about this, but I don’t think I would really be any good at it. I have started writing lots of stories but then stopped because I didn’t know what could happen next. I might have a go though. I’m not sure.

1. vteubler says:

Go for it Soph, what’s the worst that could happen? If you will enjoy it, then do it. If you won’t, you don’t have to. I think you’d be great at it!

1. Sophie says:

Sorry I never checked back at your reply but I think it’s a little bit too late to enter now. I have still made a story plan though. I’m going to start writing a story. When I finish it maybe I could find a way of sending it for you to have a read. It is going to be about a girl called Sapphire and her journeys of trying to find the end of the rainbow!

2. vteubler says:

That sounds fantastic! What a great idea to have adventure to find the end of the rainbow! I’d love to read it when you finish. The theme sounds it could be a Blyton story.

3. Sophie says:

I think Enid Blyton sort of did give me some inspiration. I have read the Faraway tree many many times. I will definitely find a way of getting you to read it when I finish.

4. Ella says:

I think I might try to have a go at it. You never know..